Friday 11 September 2015

My English Language Learning Journey

English is the official language in a large number of countries even though it may not be the universal language for the world. In Singapore, the use of Standard English allowed us to bridge the gap between our diverse ethnic groups. Nevertheless, we should not neglect the point that it is usually introduced to most of us as a secondary language, usually when we enter pre-school, while we speak our native language or mother tongue at home. One such example would be myself. English is foreign to my parents and I grew up speaking mandarin and chinese dialect at home. There are almost no chance of practising the language except when I'm in school, which then resulted in a lack of interest in the language. In my opinion, interest plays a large influence on learning. Without interest, it is difficult for one to have the passion to gain more knowledge to satisfy their curiosity.

Rewind a few years back, if I had to relate "English" to a person, the first thought to mind would be William Shakespeare. The contact with English Literature during my secondary school finally sparked an interest in the language. Essay writings is essential in literature and we do it for almost every assignment. It was tedious, but it allowed us to decipher and reflect on plays and poems of the olden age, which eventually served as a source of entertainment because of how intriguing it was. Besides that, the writings also eventually improved my understanding of the English language. 

Writings are common for reports in tertiary education, and it certainly was a different experience with scientific reports in my polytechnic days, which required more precise analysis and reviewing. Currently I am in an engineering student (after changing my major), and I think that engineering reports will require a different style of approach as compared to scientific writings . However, I hope that my past experiences in the learning of English will allow me to adapt fast. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree that it is difficult to pick up proper English if you do not have the opportunity to practice. However, I am glad that English literature had transformed your impression of English and aided your learning too.

    Although some parts of this post may have grammatical mistakes, I am sure you will get better with practice in school. I am experiencing the same issue with writing engineering reports but nevertheless, I am sure we can work on it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise, good that you said that English is used in Singapore to bridge the gap between our diverse ethnic groups. There is no segregation of languages. Growing up speaking Mandarin at home may be hard for you to practice your English but it seems your interest in English Literature have helped you improve your English. Having interest really do play a part in learning English. It is the drive that keeps you going. No matter where we go, English is important for communication so do not stop learning English. It is really an interesting language to learn. It is simple but there are countless ways to use English when creating a sentence. Always keep that interest going as it will help you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post, Louise. I like how you mentioned that the use of English allowed us to bridge the gap between our diverse ethnic groups. Good that you have found your interest for the language through literature. I agree that interest plays a large part in our learning. I can relate to that. I did not put in effort to improve in the language. So I guess this module is a chance for me to improve in English and writing. Let's help each other along the way! I look forward to improving our writings together through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a highly detailed, well conceived reflection, Louise. You chronicle your English journey in a manner that places it clearly within the Singapore context. You also provide concrete details about your experience that bring to life your learning and the motivation for that. (I'm so happy to learn that you were inspired by literature!) Kudos for a job well done!

    There are a few minor problems:

    1) There are almost no chance of practising the language except when I'm in school, which then resulted in a lack of interest in the language. >>> (verb tense inconsistency)

    There WAS almost no chance of practicing the language except when I WAS in school, which then resulted in a lack of interest in the language.

    2) Rewind a few years back, if I had to relate "English" to a person, the first thought to mind would be William Shakespeare. >>> (run on sentence _ comma splice) See for an explanation https://owl.english.purdue.edu/exercises/5/26/5

    3) The contact with English Literature during my secondary school finally sparked an interest in the language.

    4) Essay writings is essential in literature and we do it for almost every assignment. >>> (verb tense: past events, right?)

    I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete