Wednesday 16 September 2015

My English Language Learning Journey (Edited)

English is the official language in a large number of countries even though it may not be the universal language for the world. In Singapore, the use of Standard English allowed us to bridge the gap between our diverse ethnic groups. Nevertheless, we should not neglect the point that it is usually introduced to most of us as a secondary language, usually when we enter pre-school, while we speak our native language or mother tongue at home. One such example would be myself. English is foreign to my parents and I grew up speaking mandarin and chinese dialect at home. There was almost no chance of practising the language except when I was in school, which then resulted in a lack of interest in the language. In my opinion, interest plays a large influence on learning. Without interest, it is difficult for one to have the passion to gain more knowledge to satisfy their curiosity.

Rewind a few years back. If I had to relate "English" to a person, the first thought to mind would be William Shakespeare. The contact with English Literature during my secondary school finally sparked an interest in the language. Essay writings was essential in literature and we did it for almost every assignment. It was tedious, but it allowed us to decipher and reflect on plays and poems of the olden age, which eventually served as a source of entertainment because of how intriguing it was. Besides that, the writings also eventually improved my understanding of the English language. 

Writings are common for reports in tertiary education, and it certainly was a different experience with scientific reports in my polytechnic days, which required more precise analysis and reviewing. Currently I am in an engineering student (after changing my major), and I think that engineering reports will require a different style of approach as compared to scientific writings . However, I hope that my past experiences in the learning of English will allow me to adapt fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment