Saturday 21 November 2015

Inspiration (Draft)

The common figure for inspiration are often our mothers. The beautiful lady who went through pain to bring you to this world and raised you, never complaining about the sacrifices she had to make. However, I feel that someone who inspires you would make you think “because of this person, I want to do/become ____” and for the feelings I have towards my mother and family would be of emotions and filial piety.

The person who inspires me is my karate sensei. He strive to pass on the knowledge and experience he gained over the years, and the way of the art passed to him when he went over to Japan to learn from the head of our style. Sensei not only taught us the importance of traditional Japanese budo, but also patience, strength, perseverance and other important virtues. Everyone is also a family, be it inside or outside of the dojo.

Thirty years of dedication to teaching the way of the art, and more than that towards learning. Even at his age, he train every day without fail. Inspired by his devotion, I want to become stronger, and be a better leader when I guide my juniors. As a disciple of karate-do, I have gained numerous insights as well. It is not something which is only applicable in martial art but towards our everyday life. The courage and fearlessness I have gained allowed me to face the encounters and predicament in life with fierce determination.

As mentioned by the late Grandmaster Chojun Miyagi, founder of Goju-ryu, “The ultimate aim of karate-do was to build character, conquer human misery, and find spiritual freedom.”

There is still a long way to go.


This is just the start of my learning journey.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post, Louise. Until I read this, I didn't know that you were a student of karate. What I appreciate most in this reflection is how you address the values/virtues that are important in your study of martial arts, which have been instilled in you by your sensei and your fellow disciples, who you rightly recognize as a sort of family.

    Of course, as I read this, I had some questions: How long have you studied karate? How often do you practice?

    Thanks for sharing a bit with us on that other learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I started learning karate five years ago. Usually I train at least two to three times a week, though it proved to be a challenge in the recent months when school started and I took up another sport.

      Delete
  2. Hi Louise, thank you for the post. I knew you took karate but I did not know you were still practicing it after school started. It is good that you are using the virtues that you have learnt from karate into your daily life. Your karate sensei would be proud of you for becoming the person that you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louise. Yes, filial piety is very important. I wished I can have as much motivation as you in Karate, I stop practicing Aikido many years ago. Don't give up like me!

    ReplyDelete